Thursday, September 10, 2009

Surrogate Parenting

So I read this article in the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday.

(The "link" option isn't working right now, so you'll have to copy and paste the web address.)

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13294811?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

It has some significance to me. This couple that the story is about is in my stake. Dave, the husband, actually is a real estate agent, and showed us a home. I knew he had twin boys
Rebecca's age, but I was surprised to see how they actually GOT these babies into the world. Amazing! What are your thoughts about surrogate parenting? Read through this! The last paragraph where it says "I would do that" in bold tells how it all came together.

Well, it's been on my mind the last 24 hours, so I thought I would share. Ta ta!

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

So funny! I know them! I love Julie. My thoughts on Surrogacy are based on a medical ethics case that we had to read in class. This couple hired a surrogate mother and then when she had the baby she didn't want to give it up. There was a lot of fall out from this case but if I recall correctly the parents were able to keep the child in the end but not without a lot of strife. In the article the surrogate mother states that "Maybe it would have been harder to do for a stranger and never see the babies again" and I definately agree. I would not suggest surrogacy for just anyone and as the parents you would have to be prepared for something to happen with the surrogate mother. In this case I think that it was appropriate and they were lucky to have such a good experience. Really long I know...

Heidi said...

Hey....didn't we just talk about this?

Hema and Becky said...

I think it is really cool. My neighbor's sister has been a surrogate at least once (maybe twice) I don't remember exactly. She thought it was such a great experience. She didn't know the parents before hand. She just said she has great pregnancies and she knew people who had struggled with infertility and she knew how hard it was for them. It was something she really wanted to do. She didn't do it for the money, but it did help her. A lot of people thought it was really weird and gave her a hard time, but she really enjoyed it and her husband was totally supportive. I think it is an incredible gift - many people aren't comfortable adopting and this might be their only avenue. Something interesting to think about.

candace said...

"ta ta!" you are SO monica. I love it. when can we get together? And will you carry my baby? maybe christian would let me have one then.